Most Canadian schools, colleges, and universities in Canada require you to prove English language proficiency. In addition, you as an international student need to show that you are comfortable working in either of the two official languages in Canada, i.e., English or French.

However, there are a few exceptions as well! For instance, all the post-secondary schools in Canada have their language requirements set for overseas students. Some schools have stringent criteria, while others have a pretty relaxed one for English language proficiency.

If you dream of becoming an international student in Canada and pursuing a long-term program, you must understand the process. First, there are universities like Concordia University and Memorial University. Second, the IELTS requirement is relatively low for a few study programs and allows overseas students to finish an English language course after they commence the program.

Exemptions for international students

In a few cases, overseas students get an exemption from submitting a test result to prove their language proficiency. For example, suppose you belong to an English-speaking nation or have already finished your studies in English. In that case, you may get exempted from the IELTS requirement.

Again, the decision on such exemptions is at the discretion of a college or school itself. Thus, you ensure to understand and obey the institution’s requirements where you want to pursue a study program.

Exemptions are given under the following cases:

English Speaking Nations: If an applicant belongs to a country where the primary language is English, their chances of being exempted from giving IELTS are more.

Any previous education obtained in English: If an applicant has previously completed post-secondary education in English, they may be exempted from a language test.

Accepted Language Tests to Study in Canada

Most Canadian colleges and universities accept the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) for English proficiency. However, you should know that schools take only IELTS Academic exam.

Apart from IELTS Academic, a lot of educational institutions in Canada also accept the following language tests:

  • TOEFL- Test of English as a Foreign Language is accepted by more than 400 Canadian universities
  • CAEL- Canadian Academic English Language is accepted by more than 180 universities and colleges across Canada
  • Cambridge Assessment English – C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency- Accepted by more than 200 schools in Canada
  • Duolingo English Test- Accepted by approximately 140 post-secondary institutions in Canada
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)- Accepted by 90% of Canadian universities and colleges.

Those aiming for better IELTS results may opt for our classroom/online IELTS coaching and learn from experienced and approved trainers.

To find out your chances of studying in Canada, you may complete our free student assessment form online. Then, our team will evaluate your profile and confirm your eligibility to study in Canada.

Alternatively, you may seek assistance from our team of Canada visa advisors and education councilors at Student Visas Avenue.